Saturday, June 20, 2009

Flower Power

I have wanted to make myself a dress for awhile now. Following Celie's Pants blog I was inspired. Her and a few fellow bloggers challenged each other to create a skirt using a large print fabric. I could not decide on a skirt so I opted for a dress in a linen flower print fabric someone had given me sometime ago.
I started by making a muslin. I made the necessary alterations to the pattern and then put the dress together. I have to say for making my first muslin I need lots of practice in the alteration department.

After putting it all together I tried it on and found it way too big. I had to take the sides (complete with hidden zipper) apart and take about 2 inches off of each side. I may have made the sides a little too tight, but I will live with it (I am not doing the zipper again.) The bust still needs work . The lining I added seems to work fine, though the linen print is still too baggy in this area. I feel like I am 7 and wearing dressing up in my mother's dress for play. Maybe it is just because the linen distorts some while working with it.
All in all I am pleased with the results.

No comments:

Blog Archive