Wow! It's been like forever since I have posted anything new. So much has happened and changed. I am still sewing though not making costumes for the dance studio anymore. I miss it so much, but decided to go back to school to study fashion/ costume design. Two classes a semester, two kids, and a full time job keep me very busy. Just to update I will post final project from each of the classes I have completed. Then maybe start to add more recent sewing and drawing projects as I finish them.
Andrea started working on this dress in May. She wanted to make it all by herself. Andrea picked out the pattern and fabric and all the notions needed to complete her project.She cut out each pattern piece. I helped her lay out the pattern pieces on the fabric and she pinned each piece then cut it out. Andrea asked a couple of times for help when she got tired. It took a month of working on it here and there just to finish cutting the pattern.
In June as school was ending Andrea started to sew the pieces together. She ran into a little trouble with the bottom. It was suppose to be orange like the top part, but a miss-cut lead to not enough of the orange fabric. We went to the store to get more only that color was gone. So Andrea choose the green instead.
The flower- Had to have the flower of course.
Andrea finished it today .I think it came out great! Andrea made 95% of this dress. I helped with the flower and I sewed in the zipper. She hoped to have it for a summer sundress. She'll have to settle for wearing it to school with a sweater over it. I hope that she will attempt to make the matching jacket. Time will tell.
Andrea age 8 1/2 (can't forget the 1/2 though, She'll be 9 in a month)
Andrea did a tap dance to Time Warp ( chipmunk style) for her dance recital. she had to wear a crazy costume. I loved this photo It looks so Time warped!Andrea picked out the fabric. Metalic blue, lime green with black polka dots and white mesh. I put it together. Leotard , skirt and hair tie.Micky, Ricky, and Enrique- I made the short, suspenders and bowties.
Plaid is hard to work with because you have to match it up. I did an awsome job. Nana would be so proud.
Plaid shorts front (have had to make alterations to these shorts recently because the girl grew.so the button is off center)
Plaid shorts back (I love the way the plaids match in the back)
Several years ago Studio 109 did a production of Alice inWonderland. I made most of the costumes. below are a few.
Mad Hatter, March Hare, and Dormouse (thant one is Andrea) Catipillar. Terrific costume when done. Hard to make. Sucks to fix when ripped because it was difficult to repair. Worse when I had to alter the mushroom part so it could be used in a dance number a year later. Ta- Da!